Tuesday 1 September 2009

Shoulder pads...Should we have left them in the 80's?




Recently shoulder pads have been sauntering up and down catwalks around the world, and are tipped to be a must have in every girls autumn/winter collection. But is this just societies cry for vintage...are we looking past the fashion mistakes of the 1980's? Why do designers bring back trends which, lets face it, unless you have the body of Kate Moss, look pretty horrendous and often stupid on us mere mortal women? Just because something has been done sucesfully before does not mean we need to recreate it, or that it will work with a modern twist.

I am all for vintage, the luxurious feel, the glamour. But these things are evokes by the 1920's classic cuts, the makeup of the 1940's. Personally I don't feel that the 1980's has that glamourous edge. Should designers have left the 80's well enough alone? It could be argued that leggings have made an unbeliveable comeback, and who saw that coming? And it is true that celebrities such as Lady GaGa have become the embodiment of the 80's. Though, yes, she often looks crazy and I would be shocked if anybody walked into a lecture looking like that. Vaintage chic? yes. Re-embodied fashion disasters? No. I certainly will be missing out on this particular must have.

However if I do get shoulder envy I could always did my mothers out of the attic...

1 comment:

  1. I have a real problem with the way postmodernism is going at the minute. Fine, most new things are born from past influences, but a lot of designers can't seem to think these days- and nowhere is this more obvious than in the fashion industry. Literally I walk around the high streets and see replicas, not even postmodernity but just replicas, of 80's fashions. Just look at the new Next ad as a perfect example, with Blondie singing in the background.

    I don't want to re-live the eighties! When will we get something new??

    ReplyDelete