Monday 31 August 2009

British Design...Stamp size.






I recently recieved a letter, and it was the stamp which caught my attention. I did a bit of internet digging and found that it belonged to a collection of stamps released by the Royal Mail in January this year featuring British design classics. The stamps commemorate ten different icons of British design, giving a nostalgic and patriotic overview of Britain, both stereotypical (the bus and the mini) and innovative and fresh ( the chair and Concorde). Most of these designs originate mainly from the 1930's and 1960's, this is perhaps because a design can not become an instant classic, and these certainly stand the test of time. I love the nostalgic feel of these stamps, and it certainly makes you reflect on what classic design might consist of, and what makes it stand out. I also love the way a country can be summed up quite sucsincley in 10 images, imagine the list they started out with. It leaves my wondering how simple images could sum up other things, the area I live in, my favorite place, my friends, my life? This seems like an interesting way to look at things,10 images to create a country. I can say I have never been a stamp collector before, but these might be worth the £4.40

No comments:

Post a Comment