Wednesday 8 July 2009

Romeo Oh Romeo



On my trip to Italy I also visited what has been named to be Juliet Capulet's balcony in Verona. Whether this is genieunly where Shakespear took his inspiration from, or a lucky happening for someone who could spot a money making oppotunity is unknown. There is however an undoubtable tinge of magic in the air surrounding this spot. And though many may say that the tourism industry spoil such places, it is my argument that it is fact these pilgrams make not brake this place. What was most striking to me was not the balcony of the old house but the alleyway leading up to it. The alley, which was being cleared while I was there was full of love notes piled ontop of eachother, stuck or written on every inch of the walls. I found this out pouring of emotion from strangers who are all brought together by the idealism of love, (we have to at this point ignore the ending of said play), extrodinary and touching. It gave the place a real sense of purpose, of pilgramage, of romance and of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment